The Best Laid Plans…Need a Wedding Planner: James Abel
Known for his elegant and practical style, James Abel is renowned as an event designer and planner who is able to understand and incorporate your personal taste into your special event. An expert at creating unforgettable weddings and events, James has orchestrated countless weddings throughout the United States and abroad. James particularly enjoys the challenge of transforming spaces and has worked in destinations as diverse as the elegant Beverly Wilshire Hotel, a historic barn in the Texas hill country and the sandy beaches of Anguilla.
1. Tell us a little about what you do, how does having a wedding planner facilitate the process of creating a perfect wedding day?
I have been planning weddings for almost 25 years now. My approach is to bring out the individuality of each couple to craft the perfect wedding for them. The biggest challenges for any couple getting married, is their lack of experience planning large scale events. Having a planner will not only ensure you have everything covered and in order, but will also be able to save you money in every aspect of dealing with your vendors. Having ongoing relationships with vendors not only leads to better rates, but better service as well. A good planner will pass all these benefits on to the client.
2. Planning a wedding can be stressful on a new couple, what are some things they can do to avoid or lower stress during wedding planning?
Sticking to a timeline in the planning process can help. Everything does NOT have to be done immediately. Take your time, make solid decisions, and don’t stress. At the end of the day, you are marrying the person you love and that’s the most important thing!
3. What do you think the top three elements of a perfect wedding day are?
– Don’t wear a watch. Let your planner tell you what to do when you need to do it. Live the day!! It will be the most exciting one of your life!
– Little things always happen. But remember, only you know what is planned. Your guests do not, so to them it will be perfect.
– Stick to your timeline. A timeline of your wedding day is created to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. You want to look your best, you want the food to taste the best, and enough time to dance. ALL of these are based on a timeline.
4. What defines success for you?
For me the success story to each event is solving the puzzle that marries the client’s wishes to their budget and exceeding their expectations!